St. Patrick’s Church
THE HOME OF ST. PATRICK’S Roman Catholic parish is a modest Gothic style stone church built in 1910 within the urban fabric of Kennett Square. Two years prior to their Jubilee Year, the parish began planning for renovations to be completed by the time of the celebration. Goals for the renovation included updating antiquated HVAC, lighting, and AV systems and beautifying the interior through a design that remained true to the original Gothic details of the building while enhancing the space through new materials and finishes.
For new wall and ceiling finishes, A&B developed a rich color scheme that incorporated custom stencil designs to emphasize the existing plaster moldings and introduce additional layers of definition and detail where appropriate. New custom liturgical furniture pieces—including a front altar, high altar (reredos) with new tabernacle, pulpit, and baptismal font—were designed with consideration to the scale of the existing sanctuary, making efficient use of the modestly sized floor. The church’s existing woodwork, including the existing pews, was refinished to harmonize with the stain color of the new altar pieces. Existing worn wall-to-wall carpet flooring was replaced with marble tile that incorporates intricate mosaic borders in the nave, transition borders in the sanctuary/side chapels, and custom Celtic cross floor medallions along the main aisle of the church.