Known historically as the Matlack House (c. 1785), named after its owner Simeon Matlack who served in the militia, this home was subjected to many additions and patches in its history.
Archer & Buchanan removed the discordant elements, added an addition complementary to the original, and restored original 18th century features. An original kitchen fireplace and chimney were preserved and a new wing created around it. The wing was scaled to be subordinate to the original structure and carry on the details and materials of the 18th century core.
An antique barn from Bucks County was reconstructed on the site as a three-bay garage with wood shop above. The barn’s stone foundation and landscape walls create a welcoming entry courtyard and restore the sense of the property’s agricultural origins.
In Our View
Is a Sustainable
Way of Building.